(for only Family members of delegates)
1. AGA 2017 Events including welcome dinner and Gala dinner (10 – 13 October 2017)
Price: 150 USD with 20% VAT
2. SOCIAL TOURS
2.1. OCTOBER 11, 2017
Aladzha Rock Monastery
Aladzha Monastery is a medieval Orthodox Christian cave monastery complex in northeastern Bulgaria, 17 km north of central Varna and 3 km west of Golden Sands beach resort, in a protected forest area adjacent to the Golden Sands Nature Park.
In 1912, the Aladzha monastery was granted the title of "national historical monument" and in 1968 - an architectural monument of national importance.
The name "Aladzha" comes from a Persian or Arabic word and means "motley, colorful".
Museum of Glass, Beloslav
In 1893 in the town of Beloslav started operating the first glass factory in Bulgaria. Nowadays factory is still operating and there is also located the Museum of Glass.
The factory is located on the shore of Lake Beloslavsko. The company is the only one left in this famous for its long tradition in the production and processing of glass region. As such, it seeks to maintain and develop the traditional methods used in the manufacturing of glass Beloslavsko while combining them with the latest technology in this field. In the museum you can see the constituent components before processing and the processing itself.
One of the attractions is the producing of hand-blown products.
Price: 50 USD with 20% VAT
2.2. OCTOBER 12, 2017
Pliska Archaeological reserve
The Archaeological Reserve Pliska is located 28 km northeast of the city of Shumen and 2 km from the town of Pliska. The ancient fortress of Pliska was the capital of the First Bulgarian state since the foundation of Bulgaria in 681 by Khan Asparuh (according to the most popular source) till 893.
After years of archaeological research, in an area of 23 km2, were discovered and restored the remains of an "external" and an "internal" town, a Throne Room, a small palace, a pagan temple, a palace church, a water storage, bathrooms, industrial and residential buildings and an impressive cathedral (The Great Basilica - 1,5 km from the East Gate of the fortress).
Most of the interesting objects and artifacts found there are exhibited in the historical museum of the complex. There visitors can learn facts about the lifestyle of the local population and its material and spiritual culture in the period VII-X century.
The Archaeological Reserve of Pliska is one of the most interesting sights in the country and is included in the list of The Hundred tourist sites of Bulgaria.
The Madara Horseman (or The Madara Rider) is one of the symbols of Bulgaria. The site is located near the village of Madara (several kilometers from the city of Shumen in North-Eastern Bulgaria). It is an early medieval carved rock relief depicting the life-size forms of a horseman and an eagle, trailed by a running dog and a speared lion caught beneath the crushing hooves of the horse. The composition symbolizes the victory over the enemy and triumphant scenes are reminiscent of the ancient Thracian artistic traditions. Inscriptions in Greek on either side describe facts from the early history of the Bulgarian state.
The object is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1979 and in 2009 was declared a "National Symbol of Bulgaria".
VILLA BULGARA ECO
Food as art. Food as life-sustaining essentials. Food as health. Food as a physical form.
Villa Bulgara eco is the place where you will taste traditional eco Bulgarian food and will enjoy hand making bread and traditional Bulgarian songs.
The menu, offered by Villa Bulgara eco restaurant, is well-balanced and consistent with seasonal green products especially selected for you. The dishes are made with passion and inspiration, so as to leave saturated senses and desires.
Price: 60 USD with 20% VAT
2.3. OCTOBER 13, 2017
VISITING PLACES: NESSEBAR
Nessebar is one of the most ancient towns in Europe, arising more than 3200 years ago. The ancient town is situated on a small peninsula, 850 m long and 350 m wide, linked with the mainland with a narrow isthmus.
Nessebar peninsula - The Antic Messambria, called in the Early Middle Age Messemvria and later – Nessebar, was settled at the end of the Bronze Age. Ancient Thracian people called it Melsambria, meaning in their language “town of Melsas”- from the name of the legendary founder of the settlement and Thracian word for town “bria”. Messambria has had two convenient harbors: northern and southern, where remains and equipment of ancient ships are being found even nowadays.
From the epoch of the Bulgarian Renaissance in Nesebar remained quite many houses, typical representatives of the Black sea house and some of the windmills that have worked earlier in the town, a public bath and fountains for drinking water. Since the end of the last century Nesebur was a small town, the main means of living being fishing and agriculture - mainly vine-growing and flax-growing. After 1959, when the resort complex “Slunchev Bryag” (Sunny Beach) was built, international tourism started developing in the town and the surroundings. According to the legends, during its existence Nesebur had about 40 churches. At present data is available for 23 of them.
Because of its unique natural location and well preserved monuments from different ages on the VIIth Session of the Committee of World Heritage in the town of Florence in 1983 the old town of Nessebar was included in UNESCO’s list of World Heritage.
Price: 65 USD with 20% VAT
3. Technical tour (for all IAMU members)
OCTOBER 14, 2017 – Kaliakra cape, Palace and Botanical Garden – Balchik
“Kaliakra” Archeological and Natural Reserve
The Kaliakra Natural Reserve is one of the most beautiful reserves on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast.
In 1941, Kaliakra became one of the first protected areas in Bulgaria. In 1966, it was declared a Natural Reserve; since 2003 it is also an Archaeological Reserve. In archaeological terms, Cape Kaliakra is a classic antiquity and medieval fortified center, capital of the Despotate of Dobrudzha of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom and the residence of Despot Dobrotitza.
Today „Kaliakra” Reserve is one of the 100 National Tourist Sites.
Due to the natural protection provided by the high and steep shores and its strategic position, the place has been inhabited since ancient times. In the second half of the 4th c. BC the Thracian fortified town Tirizis was established here. In late antiquity (4th – 6th c.), the settlement on Cape Kaliakra, at this time already known as Acre, achieved significant territorial expansion.
The precipitate progress of the medieval town Kaliakra however, is largely associated with the 14th c., when it became the capital of the Despotate of Dobrudzha. The written sources and the epigraphic monuments provide evidence of an active religious life. At the Citadel, home of the Despot, stood a magnificent church building, of which almost no traces are left today. In the outer city there were several neighborhood churches, the remains of four of which were discovered during archaeological excavations. All of them burned down during the conquest of Kaliakra by the Ottoman Turks at the end of 14th century. In 1791 off the coast of Kaliakra raged the largest naval battle in the Black Sea, in which the Russian squadron led by Admiral Ushakov defeated the otherwise superior Turkish armada.
The name of the cape is associated with many legends. The most famous of them tells the story of 40 Bulgarian girls who, in order to escape the Turkish invaders, plaited their hair together and jumped into the depths of the sea. Today, at the beginning of the cape rises an obelisk called the “Gate of the 40 maids”.
Where: “Kaliakra” Natural and Archeological Reserve is located at 72 km in north from Varna.
Palace and Botanical Garden – Balchik
The palace and the botanical garden in Balchik, joined in an architectural and park complex, are a piece of heaven on earth and a must-see tourist attraction on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. The complex appeared as a summer residence of the Romanian queen Maria (1875-1938).
The palace was designed by Italian architects and construction began in 1924. The architectural design combines Proto-Bulgarian, Gothic, Oriental and Moorish elements. Many gardens are created, which also bear the impact of different cultures, styles and beliefs. The credit for this eclectic style should be given to the queen – a follower of the Baha'i religion that praises equality between religions and unity of God, of faith and of the whole human race.
The residence was completed in 1936; Queen Maria died two years later.
As part of the residence, in 1926 the Swiss botanist Jules Jani designed and built a park complex. Twenty nine years later, the Sofia University “Saint Kliment Ohridski “ created at this place a botanical garden with an area of 65 decares. Today, it has more than 2 000 plant species from 85 families and over 800 genera. The collection of palm-trees, for example, includes 33 species, some of which more than 50 years old. Here you can see rare and exotic trees such as rubber tree, oriental raisin tree, paper mulberry, red juniper, ancient Ginkgo biloba, evergreen magnolia, etc. Of Interest is also the Metasequoia, which was considered extinct until during a scientific expedition in China a Bulgarian scholar found a living plant. The garden is world famous for its unique collection of large-sized cactuses, which is the second of this kind in Europe after the one in Monaco.
Price: 70 USD with 20 % VAT
All payments for the technical tour are made via bank transfer to the account specified in the registration tab on our website. In some exceptional cases CASH ONLY payments will be excepted during your registration upon arrival.
For the registration, please fill in the Registration Form no later than 13 August 2017.
Please note that each participant should fill the Registration Form.